One Big Dream: State Chemical Solutions

The original State Chemical Solutions was founded in 1911 by the Zucker family. With $75 and a dream, the five Zucker brothers started the firm in a one-room office and a tiny 750-square foot plant in downtown Cleveland. Their original product was a green, floor-sweeping compound that was made by hand. Their dream was to grow.

Right after the turn of the century, the nation was in the midst of an industrial revolution. Business was growing by leaps and bounds. Large national trusts were formed in iron, steel, and oil and enormous empires and personal fortunes were being made locally in shipping and mining. Scores of businesses were springing up daily to support the mushrooming business districts. Cleveland’s population exploded along with new housing developments, schools, and factories.

The Zucker brothers recognized the challenge and opportunities and they were committed to continually improving their products, their service, and their company. Their hard work paid off...they began making a profit and reinvested those profits. Continual reinvestment triggered additional growth.

In 1927, the Company constructed a new 30,000-square-foot building on Superior Avenue and moved their headquarters there. The three-story facility housed up-to-date equipment, which enabled the Company to provide faster service and to carry a larger volume and more complex stock. Sales grew and a successful catalog/mail order business was launched.

During the 1940's, the Company continued to expand by opening sales offices in Columbus and Cincinnati. In 1944, State acquired its first warehouse facility on Hamilton Avenue in Cleveland.

In 1966, State broke ground for a $500,000 expansion of its plant at 3100 Hamilton Avenue, virtually doubling the size of its downtown Cleveland facility. During the mid-1960’s, the Company grew at a rate of 20 percent per year and employed 100 people.

In the early 1970’s, another expansion was undertaken which again doubled the size of the Company’s space. The construction created the campus as it is today. State Chemical virtually sprawls along the entire Hamilton Avenue block from the inner belt freeway to East 33rd Street, and consists of manufacturing, warehouse and office space.

The 1980’s, 90’s and early 2000’s brought about massive product and system development, growth of the internal and external sales force, technological advancements, and regulatory and quality assurance accomplishments such as numerous ISO certifications.

In 2009, State Chemical Solutions purchased a technologically advanced manufacturing facility out of Hebron, Ohio. The new manufacturing facility increased productivity and improved processes; reducing waste in our operations. This allowed the company to provide customers with superior programs and products more efficiently.

With the recent purchase of a new office building in Mayfield Heights, Ohio, State Chemical Solutions’ corporate headquarters will undergo a much anticipated move by the end of 2012. State Chemical Solutions and its people have rapidly grown from a small storefront operation to a multimillion dollar company built on a strong reputation, incredible programs and products, and outstanding service.

DOING BUSINESS WITH STATE CHEMICAL

State Chemical’s Circle of Service.

State Chemical’s Circle of Service.

Safe & effective green cleaning programs.

Safe & effective green cleaning programs.

Operations and manufacturing milestones.

Operations and manufacturing milestones.